Tuesday 27 November 2012

Dream Cloud

We watched half of the Czech dream documentary for our Friday lecture. It was about two film study students who scammed thousands of Czechs into believing that there was a new supermarket named "Czech Dream". It portrayed the influence of advertising on society. The two Czech students had a crazy idea but yet they managed to pull it off.

Well, enough said about that.

Today, it is going to be about my dream. It is not impossible to achieve, just difficult. I would love everything I own to be customized. I like things that are different and I settle for uniqueness. I dislike how clothes, bags etc. are all made in mass production. There are billions of items that look the same way, boring.

I love everything about customization. Regardless of all the customizing options we have today, the choices offered are still limited. I would love to own a place that customizes whatever you want. It would be so cool. Imagine having something that only you, out of seven billion people, own. It would be so special and unique, one of a kind.



Stnading out of the crowd.
After the movie, our lecturer shared his very own crazy idea. He wanted to build a women-friendly hardware store. That got my attention because although I love building my own things, I would not be attracted to a hardware store. I remember walking into a hardware store some weeks back to get some tools to fix the doorknob of my room, I received some weird stares from the employees as well as customers in the shop. I guess it was usual seeing a girl in heels, browsing for tools. Although I love building things, it took me a while before I could find the tools I needed.

Personally, from a woman's point of view. Hardware shops to women(the majority of them) are like boutiques to most men. We don't understand the things in there. A women won't be able to tell the difference between a flat-head screw from a pan-head one, just like men won't be able to tell the difference between a halter neck top from a tank top.

Women would need a lot of assistance in a hardware store. A women-friendly hardware store would definitely need workers who are able to give advice on hardware tools and tips. Guys, imagine being in a jewellery shop and not having a single clue about what to get for your girlfriend for your anniversary. That is how clueless women are in hardware shops. After all, jewellery and tools share something in-common, they are both kept by owners for a very long time. You would want to get something of quality.

 Quirky ideas could make the shop more women-friendly too. Such as naming wood putty (girls: used for filing up holes in wood) wood concealer(guys: a form of make-up used to cover blemishes). That way, women would be able to make some sense of hardware items.

Concealer
Wood Putty










No comments:

Post a Comment